How happy is the blameless Vestal’s lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. Each pray’r accepted, and each wish resign’d. – Alexander Pope
I love the quote and I love the movie even more. I think I saw it with Lai.
This is a reply to D’s comment. Tama si John Lloyd — hindi totoo and true love. I hate falling falling in love but I am in love with the idea of falling in love. Makes sense daba??
My emotional truth — I wish there is such a thing as being able to erase the memory of a particular relationship. It would be one of wry realism or maybe sci-fi (if you’re a geek!). In the movie, Joel has his memory erased because he can’t live in a world without Clementine and realizing halfway through the procedure that a universe without her would be blue and meaningless. So the object now is not to let go but to hang on. It is sad and depressing yet oddly beautiful.
Maybe erasing a memory could be done in a Windows environment where you could click, filter what you want to keep, and delete those you want put into the recycle bin. Push it out of your mind for a while and then decide later on if you’d want it perpetually removed and start over, tabularasa-style.
- First date > Delete! *bleep*
- First kiss > Delete! *bleep*
- Sweet nothings > Delete! *bleep*
- Movie dates > Delete! *bleep*
- Witty Repartee > Delete! *bleep*
- Lying and cheating > Delete! *bleep*
- Incessant bickering and arguing > Delete! *bleep*
- Heartwrenching break-up > Delete! *bleep*
- The Guy > Format Disk > "Are You Sure? This would mean that all data will be deleted and everything lost." > Y
- *BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP*
- "Memory erased".
The screwball guy and absurd relationship is nothing more than a glitch in my screen. Ignorance is bliss.
I don’t intend to live a life of quiet desperation. Must stop this foolishness.